If anyone in Colombia symbolizes that of doing it by hand, it is Pedro Gómez Barrero and this book demonstrates it well. With tenacity and work, after a modest beginning in Cucunubá, he transformed our way of life with his company.
From Pedro Gómez y Compañía he became a leader in urban development, changing the living conditions and appearance of cities. He was also the pioneer of shopping centers. Unicentro, opened in 1976, was a risky and visionary bet.
But shopping centers and urban developments are only one aspect of his contributions to the country, to which are added responsibilities in the public and private sectors. In 1987, as ambassador to Venezuela, he was a central protagonist in one of the most tense episodes between the two countries: the case of the Caldas corvette. A ship of the National Navy sent, during the government of Virgilio Barco, to disputed territorial waters, put these countries on the brink of a war. The tension reached such a point that the Venezuelan foreign minister refused to speak with the ambassador. The dialogue between the parties was broken. However, after several attempts, Gómez managed to propose a solution to the Chancellor that Colombia would withdraw the corvette from the area, if the Venezuelan ships did so as well. Once the proposal was accepted, a war was avoided.
Through his Share Foundation, born when an overflow of the Tunjuelito River left hundreds of people homeless, Gómez has left another indelible mark. He hurriedly built elementary homes, but realizing that to survive a community depended not only on shelter, but also on employment and education, he applied himself to work on it. Education became his obsession. He created and successfully sponsored the Colombian Teacher Award, which for more than 15 years led the recognition of the best Teachers in the country. Likewise, he read, consulted experts and prepared reports that he shared with governments. Much of this is reflected today in the country's educational policies. In short, he is a great Colombian character who, at 92 years old, continues to act and be present with his knowledge and experience in the life of the country.
- Size: 16.5 x 23cm
- Weight: 1kg
- Pages: 464 offset paper + 80 glossy paper pages
- ISBN: 978-958-8836-36-2
INFORMACIÓN DE ENVÍO
- In Bogotá: Shipping costs are proportional to weight and destination. These are calculated during the purchasing process.
- Nationwide: Shipping costs are proportional to weight and destination. These are calculated during the purchasing process.
- International Shipping: Shipping costs are proportional to weight and destination. These are calculated during the purchasing process.
Shipping and delivery times:
- Shipments within the national territory
- Shipments to Bogotá are made between 1 and 3 business days.
- Nationwide shipments are made through the courier company Servientrega and their arrival may take 5 to 6 business days.
- Editor: Benjamín Villegas
- Author: Pedro Gómez Barrero
- Prologue: Felipe López Caballero
- Art Department: Enrique Coronado
- Style Correction: Felipe Solano Fitzgerald